Tacodeli is one of my favorite restaurants here in Austin. They serve a laundry list of tacos with options that will please palates of both meat eaters and vegetarians alike. The restaurant is routinely praised for their delicious tacos, but they have also garnished awards for their salsas too.
Their signature salsa is a spicy bright green sauce called Doña. Reviewers on Yelp refer to it as liquid gold, the bomb, money and a 10 out of 5 stars.
Tacodeli is only open for breakfast and lunch but according to Austin360.com, they motor through five gallons of Doña sauce every day. What separates this salsa apart from others is its smooth and creamy texture. Most people use the hot salsa to adorn their tacos, but I have seen people eat it straight with tortilla chips.
The recipe is supposedly top secret, but for all you Tacodeli or hot sauce lovers, I’ve cracked the code.
The creaminess is achieved by emulsifying roasted peppers with oil. Here’s the recipe for Doña Sauce from Tacodeli, I call it Creamy Jalapeño Salsa!
Tacodeli Dona Sauce RecipeCourse: Condiments, RecipesCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Tacodeli Dona Sauce Recipe. If you’re looking for the delicious secret recipe of Salsa Dona – you got it! Creamy and Green. You can use the hot salsa to adorn tacos or eat it straight with tortilla chips.
1 pound jalapeño peppers
4 garlic cloves unpeeled
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup vegetable or other neutral oil
- Roast the jalapeños and garlic
- Roast the peppers on a cookie sheet under the broiler until well charred on all sides. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam.
- Next, roast the garlic cloves under the broiler until browned on all sides. Add to the bowl with the peppers.
- Blend the salsa
- Once cooled peel the garlic and peppers.
- Seed and devein the peppers.
- Add the garlic, salt and peppers to a blender and puree.
- Slowly add the oil until a creamy smooth texture is achieved.
- Recipe idea from: http://www.tacodeli.com