Growing up I was never fond of cauliflower. I appreciate that my Mom provided healthy choices but steamed cauliflower made in the microwave still doesn’t make me want to throw a party in flavortown.
I appreciate cauliflower much more now and I prefer it roasted at high temperatures in the oven. Roasting cauliflower transforms it from dull to delicious with an earthy, umami flavor. The natural sugars caramelize and produce a subtle nuttiness. One of my favorite ways to prepare it is to mix it with parsley, raisins and toasted pine nuts.
In this recipe I tried to pump up the umami flavors by adding miso paste and parmesan cheese. There are multiple types of miso paste including light and dark varieties. Miso is made from soy beans and is used most commonly in Japanese cuisine. It has a salty fermented flavor that can vary based on its color.
Roasted cauliflower with miso brown butter can be paired along side your favorite protein and would be exceptional with a grilled steak or roasted chicken. Alternatively combine it with other vegetarian dishes for a meatless Monday meal.
ROASTED CAULIFLOWER WITH MISO BROWN BUTTER
- 1 head cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons white miso paste
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Toss the cauliflower with the oil and roast on a baking sheet in a 450 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until browned, turning over halfway through cooking. Meanwhile in a skillet heat the butter over medium heat until it melts and begins to brown about 4 minutes. Let the butter cool slightly and then combine with the miso and lemon juice and transfer to a bowl. Pulse the brown butter mixture using an emersion blender or whisk until well combined. Add the cauliflower and the remaining ingredients to the bowl and toss to combine.