White gravy recipe is a simple country-flavored gravy conjured up with leftovers of the skillet fat, thickened by milk & flour roux. In the subcontinent, the white gravy recipe belonging to Mughlai cuisine is richer and creamier than the western versions. The chicken in white gravy recipe is a rich amalgamation of flavor & texture without traditional spices. Mild flavored gravy is aromatic and goes well with meat or vegetables for a nonspicy, relatively lighter meal depending on what it is eaten with.
Chicken in White Gravy easy homemade recipe
Recipe by Dave Coopers
Course: Recipes / Difficulty: Medium
- full bird chicken cut into 8-12 pieces
- 1/4 cup ghee or butter or white oil
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp each ginger & garlic paste
- 5-6 Black peppercorns
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 5-6 Chopped and ground green chili
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1-2 cup fresh chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cream
- garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and julienned ginger
- Gently heat ghee, half ghee, and half butter combo or white oil in a heavy pan with the stove set on medium heat. Toss the spices like cinnamon stick, garlic cloves, and black peppercorns in the pan and sauté for 30-seconds until the spices sizzle and emanating fragrance. Post this add the onions to saute until soft and translucent. Do not fry till the onion turns brown. Add ginger and garlic paste to the frying onion and sauté till the color changes a little.
- Add chicken pieces for chicken in white gravy recipe in the frying mixture and fry till golden in color. Put green chilies, mix thoroughly and cherish the aroma. Add cup water, and allow the chicken to cook in the pan covered. After 10-15 minutes check that the water has almost evaporated and chicken is cooked, nice and tender.
- Add salt, black pepper, white pepper, and coriander spice, mix well, and further cook for 1-2 minutes. Reduce the stove heat and add the cream or yogurt, preferably yogurt for a slightly tangy taste and lesser calories. Mix well and you should find the hot white curry simmering in the heat. Then add the chicken stock and bring to a boil but the curry should not thicken a lot. This recipe for white gravy is one of the best considering light taste.
The recipe for white gravy chicken is open for seasoning which can be adjusted if required. Check the white gravy consistency, add more chicken stock if it’s too thick, or if needed add 1 tbsp cornflour mixed well in water to thicken the gravy & let it simmer for 2 minutes more after adding.
The steaming hot chicken in white gravy in the recipe, garnished with fresh coriander and ginger, with succulent pieces of fresh chicken goes well with hot Basmati rice or naan or roti. For a vegetarian version of the white gravy recipe preparation remains the same but instead of the chicken, add potatoes, carrots peas, cottage cheese also replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock or water.