Not all pecan pies are created equal. Store bought pies are often soggy and short on pecans which can make them cloyingly sweet. My preference is a pecan pie made with honey, maple syrup and lots of nuts. When cooked long enough, the edges of the filling develop a chewy texture and the pecans, a rich toasted flavor.
But this recipe isn’t for traditional pecan pie. Chocolate and nuts are a delicious flavor combination featured in many recipes including pecan pie brownies. This is a slightly different approach combining brownies and pecans into a pie.
You could make your own pie crust and homemade brownies, but I created this with store bought items to simplify the recipe. This dessert is actually really easy to make. The most crucial part is cooking the pecan filling slightly allowing it to harden before adding the brownie batter.
If you don’t have a sweet tooth, this dessert probably isn’t for you. Consider serving the pie with whipped cream or warm with ice cream. You’ll love it!
Brownie Pecan Pie
Author: David Moser
For the pecan filling:
- 1 extra large egg
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ tablespoons butter melted
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup pecans
- 1 pie crust
- 1 18 ounce packaged brownie mix plus ingredients per package instructions
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the ingredients for the pecan pie filling minus the pecans in a bowl. Blend using a mixer till well combined. Add the pecans and stir.
- Place the pie crust in an ungreased 9 inch glass pie plate.
- Pour the pecan pie filling into the pie plate.
- Bake the pie for 12 minutes. The pecan filling should be slightly firm and raised around the edges. Return it to the oven for a few more minutes if the filling has not set. Then remove the pie from the oven, and reset the oven to 350 degrees.
- While pecan filling is in the oven, make the brownie batter. Spoon the brownie batter into a large bag and pipe it onto the pecan pie after removing it from the oven.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies removes cleanly.
If you have ever asked why cookies are soft and how to make them crispy you need to go here!